Thursday, March 22, 2012

No Easter Bunny



The first day that I saw Bunbun, he was a little white speck in the middle of my back yard.  A strange site indeed for the middle of a city.  I knew that he needed some form of intervention; so an hour later & after lots of running, he was in a safer place.  My place.  It was Mother's Day weekend, I remember it well, as after keeping Bunbun for the entire weekend I was sure I'd made some woman's life hell with their child crying for their bunny.  

This was not the case.
I walked up the street knocking on doors, asking about rabbits, & what I found out was this. Some people had moved & thrown 2 rabbits out like the trash.  Bunbun was still a kitten, & he had been someone's Easter Bunny present.  
And by Mothers Day he had become trash.  

As of February this year Bunbun turned 11 & I believe that he has had the life he was meant to.  He has never been caged, has experienced life as a free house rabbit, using a litter box, wrangling the stray cats that have also found homes either in my home or in others' & spent plenty of time both indoors & outdoors, safe & protected & not alone.
  
I implore people to look beyond cuteness or instant gratification of giving a gift or receiving a gift & realize that animals deserve as much consideration as children.  They are dependant on their humans for their physical & mental welfare,  stimulation, growth, & happiness. 

A full & happy life should not be denied to any creature.

(Reposted from 2010)



5 comments:

Vegan Wheekers said...

Bravo! Well said. And cheers to Bun Bun for his 9 loving years on this planet with you. :-)

Anonymous said...

♥ You're the best

Izzy said...

Thanks for your kind comments. I hope y'all have a wonderful Easter with lots of smiles!

Anonymous said...

Izzy. Peter Cottontail sends nose wiggles, twitches of the ear and lots of love for your kindness to all creatures. I also see you love the blues and you love Canada. Check out a young group called the 24th Street Wailers,within that family you will find another bunny lover. Sockbun. Have a great Easter.

Jennifer A. Jilks said...

We frequently have rabbits on our front lawn! Drives the cats nuts!

Cheers from Cottage Country!