Friday, December 03, 2010

Black Bean Chili

Here's another dish I quite like....I hope you will enjoy also!
You can spice this one up to your own heat level, I generally put in 2 jalepeno's and that works quite nicely for me.  The rosemary might seem like a strange thought but it gives this dish a pungent, in a good way, undertone that, well I find Yummy!
Black Bean Chili
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil 
2 cloves garlic, minced 
1 onion, chopped 
1 carrot, chopped 
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced 
1 sweet green pepper, chopped 
3 large Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, chopped 
2-19 oz cans (540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed 
1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder 
1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin 
1 tsp (5 mL) crumbled dried rosemary 
1 tsp (5 mL) salt 
1 cup (250 mL) grated Ontario Greenhouse Cucumber - garnish
Cool days call for hot, brimming bowlfuls of this zesty chili/soup that's almost a meal in itself. It's so quick and easy to prepare, that you can whip it up after work or during a Saturday of chores.
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook garlic onion, carrot, jalapeno pepper and green pepper, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in tomatoes, beans, chili powder, cumin and rosemary; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes. Season with salt to your own taste.
I have salt issues so I wait to put mine into my own bowl.  I think it has something to do with the fact that when I was a child I used to go around licking the big salt blocks that were strewn about the farm for the cows!! LOL
Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 25 min
Makes: 4 servings
This dish is amazing with whole wheat dinner rolls.
My strong recommendation when beginning to do your chopping is to open a lovely bottle of red wine, pour a tiny bit, have a little taste before the chili is done, & a little more with the dinner when it is ready!

But that's just me!

1 comment:

Laloofah said...

Hey, Izzy!

We looovvvves black bean chili! But you are right, it would not have occurred to me to put rosemary in it! I'll have to try that next time! I love rosemary, I just mainly associate it with Italian, not Mexican, cuisine.

Hope you're staying warm up yonder! :-)

xoxo