Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me! Hee Hee

Vegan Lemon Cupcakes w/Vegan Raspberry Cream Cheese Icing
So, as a gift to myself, for the 19th, and to you since I have been neglecting the foodie stuff, I decided to try to make cupcakes for the first time.  Always a fan of lemon & raspberry, I thought I'd give this combo a whirl.  I think it turned out well for my first time filling & icing anything! And it sure looks purdy!

A basic lemon cake mix was the base for the cupcakes & some lovely raspberry jam filled a wee spot in half of my experiment!

For the icing, I blended on medium speed for 5 minutes, 1/2 cup of Earth Balance & one container of Tofutti Cream Cheese.  I opted to thaw out frozen raspberries & puree them in my awesome little blender; adding 1/3 of a cup to the fluffy mix of Earth Balance & Cream Cheese (you could use actual raspberry preserves instead) blending until well, blended. I began to add 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar.  First 1 cup, then a half...blending on high until it was smooth.

Piping on the icing was fun; starting on the outside at 9 o'clock working clockwise to the inner circle of the cupcake.  I would play with the icing next time, preferring it to be a little stiffer, other than that...a general success!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look wonderful Dusty...Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you..Happy Birthday Dear Darling Dusty....Happy Birthday to you.!!!1

Little Lamb said...

Happy Birthday!

They look tasty!