Monday, August 20, 2012

I'm Feelin' Yummy Head to Toe...

So, today's mission was to recreate 2 salads that I quite like from Whole Foods.  With my handy cell phone I regularly snap pictures of foods that I see that I would like to make at home, but the handy ingredients cards on Whole Foods buffet table makes it all the easier to find a place to start!

This combination is for the Detox Salad
This one is rather aromatic, but definitely good for you. 
This combination is for the California Quinoa Salad
I prefer to call it Tropical Red Quinoa Salad with Lime & Cilantro!!

Loosely based on the Whole Foods Ingredient Cards!

"Detox Salad" 
(I enjoyed controlling the Pepper & Lemon Juice & like mine better!)
One head of Cauliflower
One large bunch Broccoli
2 cups of shredded Carrot
1 cup Sunflower Seeds
1 cup Raisins
1/2 cup chopped Parsley
Fresh Lemon Juice for your own pucker! I liked juice of one lemon.
Fresh Ground Pepper & Salt

In a food processor, pulse the cauliflower & broccoli.  Place in large bowl & mix as equally as you can.  A little more of one of the other is fine...I just like the look of it evenly coloured.  Pulse the shredded carrots & add them to mix, continuing adding all ingredients until it is mixed up & tastes awesome just for you.

"California Quinoa Salad" 
aka Tropical Red Quinoa Salad with Lime & Cilantro hee hee
2 cups Red Quinoa
2 fresh Mangoes diced
1 large Red Pepper diced
1 small Red Onion diced
1 cup of Shredded Coconut unsweetened
1 cup Slivered Almonds, pulsed or chopped
1 1/2 cup Raisins
3 cups thawed Edamame
3 limes - juice
Cilantro to taste - about 4 tbsp is good for me
Balsamic vinegar...your choice!

Cook the quinoa as directions instruct....when cooked, lay out to cool in a pan or glass lasagne dish.  While quinoa is cooling you can prepare all the rest of the ingredients, adding them together one by one being completely mesmerized at the lovely colours, AND the fact that you are now a dynamic gourmet salad creator!  Add the cooled quinoa to everything & play with the lime, cilantro blend until you love it.  Balsamic...meh. Hee Hee

Enjoy!!

No comments: